Wednesday, February 10, 2010

STEREOTYPES


At a very early age we were all taught to see things that are different or alike and put them into groups.  Remember in elementary school or while watching Sesame Street the assignment would be "which one of the pictures do not belong".
Example:  There would be a picture of 3 blue balloons and 1 red balloon.  And of course the red one does not belong.
 

But somewhere along the way some of us have taken it a step farther.  Some of us think that the one that does not belong/or is not like the others is a "bad" thing.  Being different has been seen as not of the same or equal quality or worth.   And that is when STEREOTYPES AND GENERALIZATIONS are created.

Let's start with the definition of stereotypes.
Stereotype:  A simplified and standardized concept or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group.

Right now Gay Rights are in the news a lot.  Some states are deciding on gays civil right to marry.  The government is in discussion about Gays in the military.  A lot of the issues center around stereotypes.

Example #1:  Gays are perceived as immortal and promiscuous.  Their relationships and families are not of the same worth/quality/realness as a heterosexual couple.  And that Gays interrupt the concept of marriage. 
Example #2:  Gays in the military would convert the heterosexual service members. Gays in the military would not be able to control themselves in shower situation or sleeping quarters.  Gays would spread disease.  Gays would not be able to handle a combat situation.  Gays would come to work in drag (yes!, I heard that on NPR from a listener that called in).  All gay men are effeminate.
I do "get-it" that most people who do not understand something search for evidence of recognition in order to relate.  Because some people feel more comfortable hanging out with someone who has a common interest and beliefs.  Some prefer to hang out with people who look like themselves. Which is why we have clubs, groups and communities.

But what happens when you encounter a person/group that is different from your beliefs, interest or appearance?   You flashback to the first time you had this experience and usually treat that person/situation the way you handled it in the past.  The outcome may have went well or poorly.

My advice to the wise, take the stereotypes you have about any person or group and throw them away.  We are all individuals.
Example #1:  Not all gay men are effeminate and have a sense of style for fashion or interior design.
Example #2:  Not all Black men are hung.
Example #3:  Not all Gay Asian men are submissive/bottoms and have a small dicks.
Example #4:  Not all Latinos are uncut.
Example #5:  Not all Blonds are dumb.
My entire existence is the total opposite of what stereotypes dictate.  And believe it or not because I am a clean-cut, articulate, professional. educated, world traveled, gay but not some flame, upper middle-class, light-skin mixed Black men I am told I am not "Black acting" or an "oreo".  But if I was totally White, I would be considered a "good catch".  Sometimes I feel that if I was a thug from the ghetto I would get more action LOL.

I do have my own list of stereotypes such as:
  1. I do think Asian are awful drivers.
  2. I do think people who drives the Toyota Prius drive too damn slow and usually in the fast lane.
  3. When I see cowboys boots, hat and buckle or hear a country accent, I do think redneck racist.
  4. I do wonder why Latinos go every where in a group.  I always see a car full of them.
  5. When I see a very hot guy I do typically think he probably has no personality and boring in bed.
  6. When I see a big tall muscle guy I think small dick.
  7. When a person says they are Republican I do think racist, religious, closed-mind conservative.
BUT, seriously I only say thing things to my friends out of humor.  I don't really believe the comments I listed.  Okay ok maybe #7.

The only thing all Black people have in common is that they are all of African decent.  The only thing all gay people have in common is that we fall in love with someone of the same gender.

I am sure if you talk to anyone they have a horror story to tell about being judged based on some stereotype.  My story is not unique, and indeed too common and something I don't want to get use to experiencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment