Tuesday, February 9, 2010

GAY LABELS

In the USA it is estimated that 10% of the population is Gay.  So that is about 25 Million people.  Within the 25 million gay people we are broken ourselves down into labels/groups.

Twinks - very young, skinny and cute gay boys.
Bears - Big and hairy guys.
Otters - Tall and skinny hairy guys.
Wolves - Big and hairy older men.
Leathermen -  gay guys who are into leather/uniforms etc.
Cowboys -  gay men into country-western music, cowboy boots, jeans and hat.
Circuit Boys - gay men that usually dance with shirts off and high on something dancing to trance music.
Edgy -  gay guys who are into tattoos and/or piercings and dress more with an alternative.
Jocks -  gay men who wear a lot of athletic clothing usually baseball caps. And into sports.
Artsy - gay men who dress very colorfully and into the art scene.
Muscle men - gay men who live in the gym and loves there tank tops....very muscular.
The Activist - gay men who live, eat and drink for gay right and usually wearing some type of pro-gay button.
Non-scene - the gay guy that does not attend any type of gay events or even have gay friends.
Throlls - gay men who are soo fucking old but yet they are still in the club.
Daddies - gay men who are hot and range in age from 45 - 55
Average/Normal Guy that does not fit in any scene - just the gay normal guy that is often overlooked. But yet in demand.
Drag Queens - gay men who dress in drag and it is not Halloween.
Queens - gay men that are effeminate.

 Did I leave any out? Which one are you?
  


In each of those sub-communities they have their own clubs, slang and standards.

In Los Angeles we have the West Hollywood (WeHo) boys and the Silverlake Boys.  The WeHo Boys are type casted with having a lot of attitude, body conscience, fashion whores, materialistic and not friendly.  The Silverlake Boys consider themselves more laid back, more masculine, edgy and anti-Weho.  I find both groups to be cliquish.  It was that same thing when I lived in San Francisco, the Castro Boys vs. South of Marker (SoMo) Boys.  In NYC the Village Boys vs. Chelsea Boys.  I find it all very interesting because my heterosexual friends don't have all these labels.

I am the average gay guy that is actually a little bit of everything.  I can hang out in any part of town or with any type of people and feel comfortable and just be myself. I have been labeled by my friends as the clean-cut average guy with an edge.  Picture a preppy guy with a twist of something alternative like boots or fly ass sneakers.  I love that people look at me and have no ideas I have quite a few tattoos....that's me (what you see is not necessarily what you get).  I love that about myself.

I look like/perceived as and dress like:

 

But inside I feel like:


So labels and clicks are not really my thing and I refuse to be put in a box.  All my life labels have gotten me into a lot of trouble because my outward appearance does not match my views/opinions or behavior.


Having all of these labels have PROs and CONs.  One of the only times we as Gay people seem to some together with no judgment is during Gay Pride Weekend.

Wouldn't be great if there were no labels.  And we just treated each other on the merit of our actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment