Tuesday, March 16, 2010

GAYs IN THE NAVY: A Seman's (I mean Seaman) Tale - Part 2


Back Flash continued:

David and I are at the base club (Trade Winds) at Little Creek Amphibious Base in Norfolk Virginia.  As he is giving me my "Homosexuality 101 Training" various guys are stopping by for conversation and introducing themselves.  As I think about that night I remember David asking me one simple question, "Are you family or trade".   I had no idea what he was talking about so I said, "I do not think we are related, are you from Chicago like me?"  I recall he laughed so loud and said, "You are soo innocent".  The club is now closed but David does not have a car and it is freezing cold and windy.  We take the shuttle bus to the mail gate.  Luckily he lived across the street from the base in a very nice apartment.  Low and behold, the door bell rings around 3 a.m. and a one of the guys that stopped by at the bar is at the door.  He had 5 other guys with him.  They were all gay.  We spend the rest of the night laughing, drinking, dancing and talking.  And that boys and girls was my first day at my first duty station (a LST in Norfolk, VA).

Saturday:

It is now Saturday morning and there are gay sailors asleep on the bed, the floor and couch.  We all got up and made breakfast.  Then the group of us went shopping at the mall "Military Circle".  We purchased outfits to go out to the club that night (no, not a gay club but the base clubs).  I was only 18 so I could not get into the gay club.  Unbeknown to me, Norfolk has the the largest Navy base in the USA.  Every branch of the military also has a base in Norfolk.  So if you take the number of gay soldiers, sailors, marines and fly boys - there is a lot of gay sex going on in Norfolk right on the base/ships.  So there is never a need to go the gay club (unless you just want to see a drag show or go out dancing with the guys).
We are at the Norfolk Naval Base Petty Officer's Club, and now I am learning how to detect who is "trade".  For the young ones, here is the definition of "trade:
Trade:  a guy who considers himself straight but has sex with men.  He does not go to gay clubs or has gay friends.  Today we might use the term "DL - downlow".
Now David (my gay mother and queen of the boat), has strict guidelines about who is "Trade" and who is just gay.  If you only like to get sucked and a top - you are "Trade".  If you want to suck and get fucked or even kiss - you are "Gay or Bi".

I go the the head (military term for bathroom), and as I am in line, this hot ass Sailor is talking me me.  Usually the conversation is about:
  1. Where are you from?
  2. What ship/command are you stationed?
  3. What is your rank and specialty?
  4. Do you live on base or out in town?
  5. Roommates or alone?
So, I answered his questions and asked the same in return.  I went to the urinal, he did the same.  He finished before me and disappeared.

Now the club is closing and we are catching a ride with a "Family" member.  Definition:
Family - a gay person you can trust...becomes like a brother.
As we are trying to make our way out of the club, the guy from the bathroom line appears.  He is a little drunk.  David suggest that he not drive and that he comes to his apartment to sober up.  So, David drives the guy's car and I am in the back seat.  On the way the guy is talking about how he is horny and in need of some pussy.  And how none of the ladies were giving up any pussy that night.  We make it to the apartment.  Now that we are all alone I am seeing he was is not that drunk.  I get tired and I fall asleep on the couch.  David wakes me up and ask if I want to join him and the guy having sex or at least watch.  I say, "I don't know what to do" and "what if he is not into me?"
David say, "Boy, please he was trying to pick you up in the bathroom line but you were too shy".

I go into the dark bedroom, the guys is willing and ready.  He and I start to kiss, David is sucking his dick.  Then we alternate position.  

The guy is now ready to fuck some ass.  I could tell he wanted me more over David.  Hello, I am 18 and David is 38.  This guy is about 25.  David puts the guy on his back, and puts vaseline on the guys dick and his ass (this is 1986 I don't think lube existed yet).  I watch in shock as David gets fucked.  I was shocked and amazed.  But honestly, I was confused.  Confused because I did not know anything about anal sex.  I did not know men got fucked in the ass.  How do you even get it in?  Does it hurt?

They both cum and fall asleep.  And I go back to the couch dazed and confused.

Sunday -

All day we lounge around and just have a lazy day watching music videos and movies.  Around 10 pm I go back to the ship.  I am lying in my bunk on the ship and came to the realization that, "I cannot hide from being gay and I am going to stop running from it". 

AND THAT WAS MY FIRST WEEKEND IN THE NAVY

More to come...

5 comments:

  1. My grandfather was a navy man and I always got an awkward feeling from him like maybe he leaned that way. I always heard Navy was full of gay guys but always figured that was just a saying but you've shown its true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is more of a secret or underground understanding because the sailors are not "flaming queens". They are normal guys that WANTED to join the military. Just like there are gay men who want to be Policemen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined the Coast Guard and I guess I should have joined the Navy instead. I'm sure I would have had a better experience. I never ran into ANYTHING like what you described in the Coast Guard

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the ships I was stationed on an aircraft carrier had 6000 men. So out of the 6000 how many do you think were gay or messed around? I say at least 60.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the Trade Winds. We would get all liquored up there before heading out to the College Cue Club. And TRADE Winds was the right name for it, too. That place was notorious for DL types, because you could actually hook up with someone there without getting busted.

    The same could be said for Military Circle Mall. The fellas there would be walking with their girls, while cruising you on the sly. There was truly some bold underground action going on in Norfolk at that time.

    I was there from '84 to '88, stationed on one of the aircraft carriers, and I look back on those times with a lot of fondness. I even miss it from time to time, because I had a lot of fun moments with some great people.

    ReplyDelete