Thursday, January 28, 2010

STATE OF THE motherfuckin UNION

I consider myself a well rounded person.  So at 42 I do pay attention to politics.  I watched the State of the Union Address last night (1/27/2010) in it's entirety on CNN.


 A lot of what President Barack Obama had to say was common sense.  Put the following issues really got my attention:

First, I personally don't care if a person is Democrat, Republican, Green Party or Libertarian.  A good candidate is a good candidate.  A good idea is a good idea.  It goes not matter to me if the idea came from a another political party.  BUT, what pissed me off (I swear if a Catholic Nun crossed my path at this moment I would have "pimp slapped" her ass) was how the Republican side of the chamber did not clap or stand during the parts of the speech one would think everyone would be happy.  At the end of the day, we are all AMERICANS and it is time both parties work together toward a common cause.  That cause being build up the economy, lower the cost of health care, develop new jobs, keep America safe from terrorist and lower the national debt.  Did anyone notice how at the end of the speech the Republicans immediately leave?  The only ones that stick around are his friends.



 Second, national security.  It is definitely time to bring ALL of our troops back home.  Some battles you win some battles you lose.  We need to take came of home first before we fight some other country's wars.  Especially when we are fight against people who have been at odds with each other since biblical times.  These people are willing to die and kill for their cause because they believe the Koran has told them to do so.  To them this is a religious war, to us it is about oil and the attack on the WTC and Pentagon.



Third, The Supreme Court Justices.  As I looked at them sitting in front row.  My first thought was, why are they appointed for life?







Fourth, Health Care Reform.  I worked for a CIGNA Healthcare for 3 years. Insurance companies are NOT in the business of keeping your healthy (they want you sick this way you use the insurance and they increase your deductible and drop coverage in certain areas of care).  Pharmaceutical companies are not in the business of healing you (they want you to continue taking their drugs...it makes them money).  Canada, England, France and some other countries are free healthcare (free meaning tax papers pay for health care).  In those countries you go to any doctor and get treatment and don't pay a dime or pay a fixed deductible.  In my opinion, making money of someone's health is morally wrong.




Lastly, "Don't Ask - Don't Tell" - gays in the military.  First of all I was in the Navy for 10 years.  It was a great experience.  The shipmates I worked with once they got to know me did not have an issue with me being gay (actually became protective of me).  I was never it fear for my life or harassed.  {I have a lot of interesting experience I will share in future blogs.}  As the top ranked of all 5 (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard) of the branches of service sit there and did not clap when President Obama stated he would get rid of the "no gay in the military" policy.  I wanted to get on the next flight to DC and ask them, "how does a person's sexual orientation hinder you from service in the military?"  I refuse to believe a gay guy would say "I am just too gay today to pull the trigger".  Gays who join the military are there because they want to service their country.  If the gays made it thru boot and their advance training in their field, what is the issue?  The "Good Ole Boys" in charge sitting in their office at the Pentagon are basing their homophobia on stereotypes.  I listen to NPR and closed-minded people call in and say "They will want to be in drag while in their uniforms" (as if doing drag goes hand-in-hand with being gay - all these stupid generalizations) or "They will make other guys feel uncomfortable in the showers" (so gay men to do have professionalism and self control?  And we what every man we see?).  GUESS WHAT AMERICAN, GAYS ARE ALREADY IN THE MILITARY AND SERVING HONORABLY.

Gay people can also be fire fighters, construction workers, policemen, professional athletics and yes military servicemen.  In other countries military they don't care and don't ask the question.

 As a multi-racial, gay man living in America, I can not help but think that most of the criticism President Obama receives is due to him being Black.  This man has the toughest job in the world.  It is stated he will have the toughest presidency since "The Great Depression".  He has to fight two wars going on at the same time, get thru the recession, build up the economy, fight terrorism, lower the cost of healthcare, create more jobs and all of this is 4  - 8 (If re-elected).  This mess did not happen in 1 year so why most expect everything to be fixed in 1 year is beyond me.  The most annoying thing is that NONE of the critic have a better idea/suggestion on who to fix/solve any of the before mentioned issues.

Just my opinion.  America is the best place on the planet to live but when it come to some issues we can learn a lot from other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment