Wednesday, September 8, 2010

SIGN OF THE TIMES - COMPUTERS/MOBILE PHONES TAKING OVER


I remember a time when I would go out with my friends on a Friday and/or Saturday night. We would actually talk to each other and catch up on each others lives. I remember going to the club and hoping someone would ask me to dance. I remember going to the club and hoping I meet someone and bringing him home with me. I remember going to the club and you purposely put forth an effort to meet someone you did not know. Or try to build up the courage to talk to the guy you have a crush on. I remember a time before cell phones in which I actually remembered everyone's telephone number. I remember when everyone made musical/campy recordings for their answering machines. I remember having a pager/beeper and you gave each of your friends their own numeric code. I remember when the only computer access you would have was at work or the public library. Everything was a face-to-face interaction no computerized customer service rep.


But today with modern technology we are losing the ability to interact without the use of mobile phones and computers. I have had long in-depth conversation with people via text messages. I have had friends tell me disturbing news or their secrets via email. There are soo many ways to communicate today with the assistance of soo many social networking sites for work and pleasure.

Kids today from birth are exposed to computers.
My fear is the lack of face-to-face interaction. Because of the various ways to communicate people are now lacking the ability to listen, the ability to have group conversation, and the tact to ask questions (example: how many times have you asked a guy to his face "how hung are you?"  I would guess never.  How many times have you received a compliment to your face and you say nothing, walk away or say "Sorry you are not my type"?  I would guess never).

My main concern is the lack of sensitivity. Because you can sit in the comfort of your house it provides a false sense of security. Which in return allows some people to be rude, insensitive, and disrespect. People behave online in a manner they never would if the person was in their presence.  The funny part or what I like to call Karma is that you 9 times out of 10 will run into that person when you least expect it and they get to point you out to all their friends as "the asshole from online".


I am all for technology. But how many times have you had a connection with a guy online and then it moves to email and then to texting, then you finally meet the guy and you feel nothing and he has nothing to say. But online he has tons to say.

I set up guidelines for myself and maybe you will do the same:
  1. I limited the times I check my email throughout the day to twice a day.
  2. I update or read my Facebook only once a week.
  3. Various sites like Adam4Adam I might go on once a week.
  4. I try to do a blog entry only when I have something to say.
  5. I try to meet with my various friends at least once a week and I keep my phone in  my pocket.
  6. If I meet a guy online I want to meet him sooner than later instead of spending time emailing and texting.
I can't image my world without my iPod, Blackberry and my laptop but the interesting thing is that I without a second thought will leave all those things at home when I go on vacation....and I don't miss them.  Try it for just one day, you would be shocked how you will not miss any of it.

HERE IS A CHALLENGE FOR YOU, GO JUST ONE DAY WITHOUT USING YOUR iPOD, MOBILE PHONE AND COMPUTER ONCE A MONTH.  Go out and enjoy life, go have dinner with a friend, visit a museum or go on hike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment