Tuesday, September 14, 2010

FLASHBACK: MY FIRST TIME IN A GAY BAR.

Picture this, it is 1984 and Summer in Chicago.  I was 16 years old but looked not a day over 14.  A good friend of mine along with his friend took me out to the club.  There were all 18 - 21.  My friends was only 15 but looked 21.  They did not want me to come along because they did not think I looked old enough to get in.  Secondly they did not even ask or tell me we were going to a gay club.  But I am not stupid, I knew what was going on.

Anyway we went to this ghetto ass, hole in the wall club, under the L Train Station.  This club was the size of a walk-in closet.  I got to the door, just as I opened the door a girl came running and out and threw up on my shoes and said "damn the drugs are good tonight".  My first thought was "why is there a women in this gay bar".  At 16 I really did not think about women being gay also.  The doorman handed me napkins to clean off my penny lofter.   Don't laugh I was very preppy back then.  I clean off my shoes and the doorman said, "I know damn well you are not 18, but since you are soo cute I will let you in".  The drinking age in 1984 was 18.  The following year it changed to 21.

I proceed to move past the overweight doorman who lustfully allowed me into the club.  I guess it does help to be young and cute.  Anyway, I digress excuse the moment of stroking my own ego LOL.  I walked up to the bar with my friends who ordered drinks.  I ordered a coke, yes a coke because I had no idea what alcoholic beverage I would like.  I got my coke and squeezed my way thru the crowd (as many many hands grabbed my ass along the way) until I found an opening spot to just stand and watch.  I felt like he new prisoner being taken to my ceil as the other inmate make cat calls at me as I walk past.  The music was amazing.  They were playing house music.  It was a type of music I had never heard.  And it was not played on the radio.  The guys were dancing all night long.  I could feel the bass of the music penetrating my skin.  It was hard to keep still, the music had a spell that forced you to dance.  But I was scared, I had never danced with a guy before.

Finally my friend came by to check on me to ensure some old troll had not kidnapped me.  Or some hot stud had taken advantage of my virginity.   He took me to stand with his friends.  Standing right by us was Jermaine Stewart and Slyvester.  I shit you not. 


For those of you too young to know the origin of "house music", "Jermaine Stewart" and "Slyvester" Google them.  Way before there was a Boy George there was Slyvester.  And Jermaine Stewart had a best friend / fag hag who we now know as Jody Watley.  Slyvester's fag hag and singing partner we know as Martha Wash.   I was star stuck.

Now the club is closing it is almost 5 in the morning.  We are all on the street in front of the club.  I now call this phenomena "the sidewalk sell".  It is a guys last chance to get lucky.  The DJ comes out to chat with my friend.  I later find out his name is Frankie Knuckles.  Yes, the "God Father of House Music" who has made dance version for practically every top singer's song like Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Mariah Carey, Madonna and many more.


And that boys and girls was my first night out in a gay bar.  I walked into that club a 16 year old, preppy kid from a upper middle suburb.   I left the club wanting more and more and more.  It was quite a night.  I have loved house music every since.  And I sorta prefer hole in the wall clubs over classy bars. But that is another blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment