Tuesday, August 31, 2010

LOS ANGEGLES vs. NEW YORK CITY

I am originally from the Mid-west (Chicago to be specific) but I have lived in Los Angeles for the past 10 years.  I moved to Los Angeles from New York City.

Many times I hear people complain about NYC.  Comments like "the people are soo rude".  9 times out of 10 the comment is coming from someone who has NEVER lived in NYC or even visited.  They are just making statements based on another person's experience.  Well after repeatedly hearing some stupidity it prompted me to write this blog.

In my personal opinion (someone who has lived in or visited pretty much every major city in the USA - Chicago, Boston, NYC, Atlanta, Miami, San Francisco, Houston, Seattle, Philly - not to mention cities in other countries like London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona and on and on - you get the picture), the people of Los Angeles are far more rude.   There are many things I love about Los Angeles (or should I say - I love about California).  But my list of the things I dislike is a longer list.


The things I like about Los Angeles:
  • Sunny weather all year round.
  • The mountains, hills and valleys
  • The beaches (every time I go to the beach I see whales, dolphins are some other sea life).
  • Celebrity sightings.
  • Movies com out in LA before any other city. 
  • San Diego is only a 2 hour drive away - San Francisco is a 1 hour flight.  In the winter skiing is only a 1 hour drive away.
  • I am NEVER bored in LA - something is always going on.
The shit I totally dislike about Los Angeles:
  • Traffic
  • The city of Los Angeles just does not have a "vibe".
  • Lack of creative architecture
  • LA is not called the "Land of Flakes and Nuts" for nothing.  The people here are notorious for flaking.  In LA you most definitely have to have a plan B and C because plan A is not going to happen.  I have never in my life meet sooo many nutty/crazy people.
  • People in LA are treated based on if you work in "the business" (entertainment) and which director, producer or actor you know.  (Because the city is full of wanna-be writers, actors, producers, etc and they just want their big break and hope you can help them.)
  • Shallowness reins supreme - it is all about body beautiful, face, ass, and tits.
  • Materialism - if you don't drive a nice car you are not going to fit in.  If you don't wear the latest fashion fade you will not fit in.
  • Rudeness/disrespect - it is totally acceptable in LA to NOT say "excuse me", "thank you", "sorry" and even giving someone direct eyes contact when you are talking to them.
  • The people of LA are rude but the funny thing is that they have the nerve to also be "fragile".  If you say or do anything to bring that person to "reality", that is perceived as "you are soo mean or negative or aggressive".
  • Clones - every as the same hair style and clothes.

New York, New York!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What I love about NYC:
  • The energy and vibe of the city.  Each borough has it's own feel.
  • The people are such individuals.
  • The people are direct (I do not consider that rude).
  • Live theater (Broadway and off Broadway).
  • Music is always released first in NYC.
  • Fashion! man, this is the fashion capital of the US.
  • Diversity - every ethnicity under the sun lives in NYC.
  • HOT - naturally beautiful men and women.
  • Central Park
  • ALWAYS something to do.
  • You can get any type of food you want any time of the night.
  • If you wanted to you can party all night, you can the clubs close around 6 a.m.
  • I don't have to drive, I have a choice between a taxi or the subway.
What I dislike about NYC
  • Cost of living and what you get for your money.
  • Sometimes it is just overwhelming  - too many people and stuff going on.
At the end of the day, I live in Los Angeles and although I have never felt at home here, it is home for now and I make the best of any situation.

Again, this is just my experience, go to LA and NYC and experience for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment